Position Portfolio Manager
Employer CIBC Asset Management Inc.
Job Location Toronto, Canada
CIBC Asset Management Inc. (CAM) is one of the largest asset managers in Canada with a 40 year history of active management. With over $120 billion in assets under management, we are leaders in providing a broad range of high-quality global investment management solutions to retail and institutional clients. Our investment capabilities include fixed income, equities, asset allocation and currency management.
Our assets include those under institutional money management for pension funds, endowments and insurance funds, private wealth management. They also include the CIBC family of managed portfolio solutions such as Managed Portfolio Services (MPS), Personal Portfolio Services (PPS), Renaissance Private Investment Pools and Axiom Portfolios as well as those that are part of CIBC Mutual Funds and Renaissance Investments families of funds. CIBC Asset Management is part of the CIBC Wealth Management group.
At CIBC Asset Management, our goal is to help our clients achieve what matters to them. Our philosophy is based on the CIBC values of Trust, Teamwork, and Accountability and we achieve results for our clients through an in-depth, disciplined investing approach based on rigor and research.
Under the direction of the Chief Investment Officer, Portfolio Management and Research (PM&R), and reporting into a Senior Portfolio Manager, the incumbent will be an integral member of the Equity Portfolio Management team. The incumbent will manage select Global Science & Technology Equity portfolios in collaboration with a Healthcare Portfolio Manager specialist. The Portfolio Manager, is expected to conduct independent company research and to guide and challenge the research conducted by the Equity Research Team. The incumbent is expected to adopt the team culture emphasizing constant personal, team and performance improvements. As a member of a very dynamic and collaborative team, it is expected that research insights will be shared with other analysts and Portfolio Managers across all asset classes within CAM. The Portfolio Manager will be held accountable for strong peer and benchmark relative performance while adhering to investment guidelines and client expectations. The incumbent will also contribute to the Marketing and Servicing effort pertaining to both institutional and retail client bases.
- Responsible for all aspects of managing specific global growth equity mandates.
- Utilize research to construct active, risk aware, portfolios where risks are predominantly taken at the individual stock level.
Lead a fundamentally driven investment process that appropriately utilizes quantitative inputs in idea generation and portfolio optimization.
Accountable for investment decisions based on disciplined fundamental research process and risk aware portfolio construction to deliver the desired investment outcome.
Recognize the importance of portfolio construction and its role in mitigating risk. Clearly define and adhere to portfolio construction parameters consistent with client objectives and guidelines and ensure portfolios are consistently managed.
- Contribute to the team’s broader research effort by:
- Working with analysts to improve company models
- Challenging the investment thesis and key drivers
- Using experience and pattern recognition to positively influence team discussions, by having the team consider multiple perspectives, with the goal of increasing the probability of success for all investment decisions
- Generate financial models and thesis statements with a view to capturing the mispriced alpha opportunity. The incumbent is to develop and maintain an accurate research platform with models and forward-looking estimates for the relevant companies.
Help develop and mentor research analysts through meeting contributions and one-on-one interactions.
Support the performance of all CAM equity funds by engaging in an open and ongoing dialogue with the PM&R equity team members. Initiate discussions, share information.
Work collaboratively with the other asset teams.
· Contribute to the marketing and servicing effort pertaining to both the Institutional and Retail client base.
This job collaborates with peers both inside and outside the work unit when identifying, discussing and resolving business issues related to the work area:
- Research Analyst
- Portfolio Managers
- Head of Equities
- Head of Research
- Director of Quantitative Research
- Chief Investment Officer
- Other Asset Class Investment Professionals
- Client Service
- Business Development
- Business Controls
- Auditors, Legal and Compliance
- Middle Office
- As an employee of CIBC, the incumbent must comply with all applicable CIBC and Line of Business policies, standards, guidelines and controls.
- Accountable to ensure that the client’s investment objectives are met by ensuring that policies are not breached by investments that are outside of the stated policy.
- As a key contributor to the business unit, this job has the authority to recommend changes to business processes including investment processes in order to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness, within regulatory requirements.
PM&R Toronto office
Required Experience and Skills
- Eight or more years of relevant international/global equity research and portfolio management experience or technical industry experience.
- Graduate and preferably post-graduate degrees in business, finance, or economics, or applied sciences
- CFA highly recommended. Other similar professional designations are an asset.
- Intimate knowledge of global large cap Technology and growth sectors/companies.
- Committed to constant personal, process and performance improvement.
- Analytic / Systematic / Creative / Skilled / Insightful and passionate investor.
- Proficient in computer modeling and spreadsheet analysis. Computer programing a benefit.
- Thorough and detail-oriented.
- Able to invest using a thoughtful and repeatable process designed to exploit investment opportunities.
- Highly motivated with a focus on client results.
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in written form; able to understand/explain/resolve complex issues; strong problem-solving and reasoning skills. Presentation experience.
- Capacity to prioritize, meet deadlines and to work under pressure.
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with quantitative tools and their utilization within a fundamental investment process.
Contact Details Michal Marszal MD MBA CFA Michal.Marszal@cibc.com